Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Travelex Insurance Services has been in business for over 55 years.
Based in Omaha Nebraska, the company offers highly customizable protection including trip cancellation, medical and medical evacuation. Travelex covers children under 17 at no additional cost, and carries an A+ rating with the BBB.
My overall rating is a 4/5 (Excellent). When compared to other travel insurers, Travelex offers some of the most comprehensive travel insurance policies available. Their financials are strong and they offer outstanding 24/7 customer support.
Travelex travel insurance provides customizable protection for travelers through their plans.
- The Travel America Plan provides a wide range of coverage for you and up to seven traveling companions for trips within the United States. These benefits include emergency medical expenses, trip inconvenience which could provide reimbursement for events such as closure of ski resorts, golf courses and beaches because of certain unforeseen conditions and roadside assistance and car rental collision coverage to help keep you protected on the road. Coverage is also extended for pre-existing conditions, if the plan is purchased within three days of your final trip payment.
- The Travel Basic Plan provides protection for a variety of unforeseen circumstances. If you sustain an injury or become ill while traveling, Travel Basic can offer emergency medical assistance, plus medical and dental expense coverage. Whether your trip is across the state or to the opposite side of the country, Travel Basic provides the essential insurance benefits you need for an affordable price.
- The Travel Select Plan, on the other hand, provides comprehensive protection with a cancel for any reason benefit, additional sports and medical coverage, car rental collision coverage, and even an air accidental death and dismemberment clause. If your trip is delayed, interrupted, or cancelled because of sickness, injury, death, inclement weather, business reasons, pregnancy or other covered reasons, Travel Select can provide coverage for incurred expenses. Travel Select also provides primary coverage with no deductibles, as well as 24/7 access to travel assistance.
- Flight Insure and Flight Insure Plus provide two levels of protection for flight insurance. If you are one of those travelers wanting added security and reassurance during long distance flights, these plans offer, flexibility, affordability and protection against common mishaps like travel delays and in-flight accident.
Travelex Coverage Options
View travel plans
|Benefit||Travel Select||Travel Basic||Travel America|
|Trip Cancellation||100% of insured trip cost||100% of insured trip cost||100% of Trip Cost up to $750|
|Trip Interruption||150% of insured trip cost||100% of insured trip cost||150% of Trip Cost up to $1,125|
|Trip Delay||$2,000 ($250/day)||$500 ($250/day)||$2,000|
|Sporting Equipment Delay||$200||–||$2,000|
|Emergency Medical Expense||$50,000||$15,000||–|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$500,000||$100,000||–|
|Kids-Included Pricing||Yes||No||Coverages Shared Between Insured and Up to 7 Traveling Companions|
View flight plans
|Benefit||Flight Insure Plus||Flight Insure|
|AD&D Common-Carrier (Air Only)||Select Coverage||Select Coverage|
|Baggage & Personal Effects||$1,000||–|
|Emergency Medical & Dental Expense||$10,000||–|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation & Repatriation||$100,000||–|
Travelex travel insurance benefits help protect the most important parts of your trip.
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption-Financial protection for canceled or interrupted trips.
- Trip Delay-Reimbursement for unplanned expenses during trip delays.
- Emergency Medical and Dental-Coverage in the event of an unexpected injury or sickness.
- Emergency Medical Evacuations and Repatriation-Medical evacuation to the hospital of your choice.
- Baggage and Personal Effects-Protection if your valuables are lost stolen or damaged.
- Missed Connection-Coverage for cost resulting from missed flight connections.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment-Coverage in the event there is loss of life, limb or sight on your trip.
- Travel Assistance-24-hour travel, medical and concierge assistance.
- Primary Coverage-Automatically included, your approved claim is paid first with no deductible.
- Pre-Existing Conditions-Pre-existing medical conditions can be covered when the waiver is in effect.
In order to provide travelers with the most competitive products in the industry, Travelex Insurance Services has partnered with the following underwriters:
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company holds financial strength ratings of A++ from AM Best, and A++ from Standard & Poor’s.
Zurich Insurance Group
Zurich Insurance Group, headquartered and founded in Switzerland, is a leading multi-line insurance provider that serves its customers in global and local markets. Zurich holds financial strength ratings of A+ from AM Best, and AA- from Standard & Poor’s.
Travelex Insurance Services receives favorable reviews from 7 out of each 10 reviews posted. It should be noted that in most cases, unfavorable reviews were the result of people who were unhappy about the outcome of a claim. I have been around the insurance industry most of my adult life and I know for fact that an insurance policy will only pay for covered claims. In other words, any claim filed for a loss specifically excluded in the policy will be denied. Please be sure to review the policy before making the purchase.
As you would expect, the cost of travel insurance depends upon several variables including, Destination, length of trip, age of travelers, and cost of the trip. Also, the Travel Select plan, a more comprehensive travel plan, will cost more than the
Travel Basic plan. With those facts in mind, I find the Travelex Travel Insurance Plans are a good buy for the money.
Given all the uncertainties we face today, travel insurance should be included in the planning process if for no other reason, than to provide peace of mind.
I look forward to reading your comments and don’t forget to share this article with friends and family.